Gayle Dempsey, Artist
Award-winning artist painting in acrylic, oil and watercolor.
The Waves Cometh
An exhibition of recent works by Gayle Dempsey
March 24 to April 28, 2023
Opening reception April 2, 1–4 pm
Arts and Letters Club of Toronto
14 Elm Street, Toronto, Ontario
During the pandemic, as the waves of COVID 19 rise and fall my work is transforming from hard edge, dark landscapes to a more fluid and brighter palette. As the waves of numbers of cases and hospitalizations undulate like waves on the water so do my creative impulses, hopes and fears, sometimes crashing to the shore of my being and sometimes gently washing over me as I translate this moment in time to canvas. This never-ending movement towards the next pushes me forward as I look to new ways of living, creating and showing up.
The rise and fall of waves, the ebbs and peaks, and the bombardment of our being with information and disinformation and uncertainty create its own rhythm of paint on canvas and paper. A rhythm and place free of rules and restrictions—a greater vision of life.
- Mystery of the Park Award, Second Place, ECOAA Annual, 2021
- Rose Baker Award, Best Water Media/Acrylic, Annual Members Juried Exhibition, 2021
- James O’Brien, 61st Annual Chautauqua Exhibition of Contemporary Art, Chautauqua Institution, NY, 2018
- Award of Excellence in Acrylic Painting, Muskoka Arts and Crafts Spring Show, 2016
- Recipient of the Muskoka Awards inaugural Arts Award for creativity, personal artistic achievements and support and leadership in Muskoka’s arts community, 2009
- Award of Excellence in Acrylic Painting, Muskoka Arts and Crafts Spring Show, 2008
- Township of Muskoka Lakes Award for Dedication and Advancement in Arts and Culture, 2004
Please see CV above for a full list of exhibitions.
Arts & Letters Club Members’ Exhibition
- Township of Muskoka Lakes Gallery Space, Port Carling, ON, The Waves Cometh, 2022
- Muskoka Place Gallery, Two Woman Show with Donna McLaren, 2016
- Muskoka Place Gallery, Fire & Ice, solo exhibition, 2011
- Muskoka Place Gallery, solo exhibition, 2006
- Catto Gallery, Muskoka Lakes Museum, Port Carling, 2006
- Algonquin Visitors’ Centre Gallery, ECOAA Annual Mystery of the Park Show, 2021
- Georgina Arts Centre & Gallery, ECOAA Annual Members’ Juried Show, 2021
- Arts and Letters Club of Toronto – Juried Beginnings/Endings – 2021
- Muskoka Arts and Crafts Spring Show, 2021
- Arts and Letters Club of Toronto, Juried Fall Members Show, 2019
- The Gibson Centre, 2019
- Arts & Letters Club of Toronto, 2017, 2019, 2020, 2021
- Orillia Museum of Art & History, 2017
- Muskoka Arts & Crafts Spring Show, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2021
- CEI Galleries & Kati Bujna Fine Art Studio, 2013
- Arts & Letters Club, juried shows, 2012, 2011, 2010
Office: (705) 765-1048 // Toll-free: 1-888-311-ARTS
1182 Foreman Road, Port Carling, Ontario
The Arts in Muskoka Group is located on the traditional territory
of the Ojibwa, Obajewanung, a place that has long served as a
meeting place shared by many nations.